THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

11.22.2009

Frog Eye Salad

I've never been a huge fan of Frog Eye Salad before but my grandma asked me to make some for our early Thanksgiving get together this weekend so I found this recipe online and when I was done making it I was surprised at how much I liked it.  So I thought I would pass it on!  I got this from Cooks.com.  


1 c. uncooked Acini Di Pepe pasta 
3/4 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. pineapple juice (from canned pineapple shown below)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. lemon juice



Cook Acini Di Pepe: Bring 6 cups water to a rapid boil in 3 quart saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons salt. Slowly add 1 cup Acini Di Pepe. Return to rapid boil, stirring to separate. Boil only 2 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 6 to 8 minutes. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water to chill. 


In small saucepan, mix sugar, flour, salt; stir in pineapple juice and egg.  Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until thickened (or cook in microwave).  Add lemon juice, set aside and cool.  


Combine cooked, cooled mixture with cooled Acini Di Pepe.  Cover, place in refrigerator until chilled.
Add the following:
2 cans (11 oz each) mandarin oranges, drained
1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits or chunks, drained
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 carton (8 oz) dairy whipped topping
1 c. miniature marshmallows


Stir lightly.  Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Serves 8-10

1 comment:

Chalece said...

I love this salad! Thanks for the recipe.