THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

8.22.2008

Black Bean Tortilla Casserole

I know the "ingredient" is Oriental, but I just have to share this. It has been way too long since I last posted, sorry! I will try to be better.

Anyway, I just made this a couple nights ago for the first time, and let me tell you... if you like Mexican food, you're going to LOVE this!!! It's super easy, and it is SO yummy!

2 large onions, chopped
1-1/2 c chopped green peppers
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 c picante sauce (I wasn't sure if it was just a fancy way to ask for salsa, but that's what I used)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp ground cumin (I didn't have this so I used curry powder and it was fine)
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
8 corn tortillas
2 c (8 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend (reg. cheddar cheese would work fine as well)

Toppings:
1-1/2 c shredded lettuce
1 c chopped fresh tomatoes
1/2 c thinly sliced green onions
1/2 c sliced ripe olives
sour cream

1. in large saucepan, combine the onions, peppers, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.

2. Spread 1/3 of the mixture in a 13 x 9 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Layer with 4 tortillas and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers; top with remaining bean mixture.

3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings.

Yield: 9 servings

This is just so yummy, and it's super healthy too, except for the cheese, I guess. But come on!

Just a note... My brother has celiac disease, which means he has to have a gluten free diet, otherwise he gets pretty sick. This meal works great because of the corn tortillas!! If any of you know of any other recipes (good ones... some of what he has to eat is not exactly tasty) let me know!! Thanks!

3 comments:

Cassi said...

This sounds really good! I'll have to try it! And if it's weird then maybe I'll try again it with Curry powder instead of Cumin! :)

And you have to post your orange salad recipe sometime! Or if you don't want it on here then maybe you can email it to me!? That stuff was so good!

Anna said...

That sounds so good!!! I'll have to try it. Think about what we talked about earlier...:)

Christine Archibald said...

I am going to try this! My dad has celiac disease too. I am always looking for recipes to make when I see him. I have made the salsa chicken with rice and cheese dish that I already posted on this blog awhile ago. That is always a fav. I have a good Pumpkin Pudding recipe that is a great alternative to pumpkin pie for the holidays.