THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

6.25.2008

Black Beans

Here's another great recipe.... very easy. I love doing this because I can buy a 1 lb. bag of black beans for like 1$, cook them, and get 5-6 snack snize ziplocs full of cooked beans. I feel like this is way more economical than buying a can of black beans (which is usually more than we can eat at once) for more than a 1$/can. If we don't use all our beans from our freezer bags, I just pop them back in the freezer. This was a great way to give our little boy baby food. He loved black beans, so I kept really small portions (in ice cube trays) of beans for him. Yummy, and healthy!!

Black Beans
In crock pot combine 6-8 c. liquid, 16 oz. dry black beans. 1T. of each: Oregano, chili powder, garlic, onion salt, chicken stock(I didn't have this, so I didn't add it and they still tasted great), canned tomatoes(I also didn't add this, but I'm going to sometime!), cumin, I didn't add these next two ingredients, only because I didn't have them, and the beans were still delicios! fresh jalapeno, crushed red pepper. Simmer overnight (or, I just put them in my crockpot in the morning and cooked them on low for about 8 hours. At about 6 hours, I started checking them to see if they were done, and stirring them every so often - it did end up being about 8 hours).

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Yumm! I'm way excited about this recipe and your Cafe Rio ones too. Mexican food is seriously our favorite! Whenever I've tried to cook black beans in the crockpot they end up a little too mushy. Are yours mushy at the end too? I could have just been overcooking, I'm definitely not a bean expert!

Shae said...

I've just started freezing my black beans too and it is so great! I love to use them with mexican food recipes but I'm nevver with it enough to plan ahead for the meal. It is so much easier to pull some out of the freezer. I've never tried them in the crock pot...I'm definitely going to do that next time. Thanks!