THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

7.26.2009

Black Cherry Oatmeal Crunch Squares

This isn't a picture I took but this is what they should resemble...

I got this recipe from my home teacher in college who surprisingly brought my roommates and I better goodies than any visiting teacher ever did. They are crumbly and sugary but worth every bite! I've tried it with different flavors of jam...although black cherry or raspberry are among the favorites. It's fun to make before church (unless you have church at 9am!) and then it has cooled by the time you get home.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup softened butter cut into pieces
1 cup black cherry jam (or other jam)


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter 9-inch square pan.

Stir together flour, oats, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with two knives or pastry blender until crumbs are the size of peas.

Remove 2 cups of mixture; set aside. Press remaining mixture into pan and up the sides. Drop jam over crust and spread it out. Sprinkle the rest of the crust over jam.

Bake 50-55 minutes and let cool for 2 hours.

3 comments:

Cassi said...

Yum!! I'm going to have to start buying oatmeal more often for all these yummy recipes

The Mortensens said...

These look good! I'm seriously gaining weight here, after our move, people have been bringing us cookies non-stop. Plus, I've been making them to take to other people, for our nursery class, etc. It's bad. Seriously, but these look really good, I'll have to give them a try!!

Niche Topics said...

Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious...another reason to incorporate oats into my diet ;)