THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

1.26.2008

Glazed Carrots

So this was inspired by my sis-in-law Annie (Hi Annie!) I got the recipe out of my favorite new cookbook--America's Test Kitchen that my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas. Sounds like lots of in-laws...anyway. Here is a great side to any meal...

COMBINE in 12-inch frying pan:
1 lb of carrots cut on the bias
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until carrots are almost tender.

Uncover, bring to a boil again and cook until the sauce has cooked down to about 2 tbsp. (about 2 minutes)

ADD:
2 more tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (mine was salted) cut into 4 pieces
Cook until carrots are tender (about 3 more minutes)

Off the heat ADD:
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (mine was concentrate)
pepper

Voila! Candied carrots! It was really fast and really easy! Serve with a side of Peanut Butter (ha ha...I was feeling guilty I didn't have a peanut butter recipe this week.)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Haha Shalee, I wish you were closer so I could loan you 5lbs of carrots :) Sounds delish - the only way I can get my kids to eat a vegetable is to coat it in butter and sugar so they will surely love these!

Cassi said...

Yum! No one in my family will eat cooked carrots excepe me! Maybe this will do it... especially with the side of peanut butter! Hahaha

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking I would probably double this recipe in the future.