THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

7.27.2008

Canning Peaches


You'll need:

Ripe peaches (about 3-4 per jar)
White sugar
Boiling water
Clean quart jars and lids/rims
large stock pot

1. Peel peaches. You may dunk peaches in boiling water briefly to make peeling easier. Cut peeled peaches in half.
2. Make a solution of 1 cup water to ½ cup sugar. Heat to boil and stir till sugar is dissolved. Then remove from heat.
3. Sterilize jars and lids with boiling water. (this means you need to boil water and put about a cup in each jar, and swirl it around, even for new jars. Lids are done by placing in boiling water for a minute or so. Lids can only be used once to seal.)
4. Pack peaches into jars all facing one direction to the bottom ring of the jar. (this just makes them pretty, if they face in 1 direction)
5. Add sugar solution to top ring.
6. Place lids on jars securely(use tongs so you don’t contaminate them) and seal with rims. (rims can be used over and over again)
7. Place jars in large stockpot. Fill pot with plain tap water to just cover jars.
8. Bring water to boil and cover with lid.
9. Boil 20 -25 minutes.
10. Remove jars, place on counter to cool.
11. Test lids (after jars have completely cooled down) to see if they are properly sealed. You know the jars have sealed if they don’t give on the top. Unsealed jars can be resealed using a new lid or eaten promptly.

This is how many I did one morning, with some help! Note: the blue pot is one we used to can in. That's all you need. You DO NOT need a pressure canner or water canner to do this.

I hope I've described everything. It has just kind of become habit for me now so I have a hard time remembering if I got every thing. If you have any questions, leave a comment and I will comment back. Good canning!

1 comment:

Cassi said...

Yum!! I can't wait to try this out! Though, from the look of all those jars I think I'll have to wait till I have a house! :)
Thanks for the instructions!