THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

4.26.2008

Roast and Salsa Chicken

I love my crock pot. For some reason it's so much easier to throw some things into the pot sometime in the morning or early afternoon (or nap time!!) and have it be ready by the time my husband comes home then it is to try and cook something the hour before he comes home. In that hour it seems like the kids are trying everything they can to make getting dinner cooked a nightmare! And I also love crock pot meals when we have the late church time because it's ready right when you get home.
Anyway... here are a couple easy things I make in my crock pot.

Roast:

Beef roast (I usually use Round or Chuck and for my family I get about 3lbs)
1 envelope dry Lipton onion soup mix
Potatoes- chopped into big chunks (I usually use about 3)
Onion- chopped into big chunks (I only use one)
About a cup of water or a whole can of Coke

Put roast in crock pot. Put potatoes and onions around/on top of the roast. Sprinkle soup mix on top of roast and then pour in water or coke. Cook on low for at least 6 hours (or high for at 3-4 hours). Cut up (or spoon out) and serve. Put the potatoes and onions in a bowl and have as a side dish.
When I do this in the morning I just use water and let it cook for 6-8 hours on low. But sometimes I'll do it the night before and use the coke and let it cook overnight and all day on low. The longer it cooks the more tender it will be and the coke makes it even more tender. And I've been told that the caffeine cooks out. So for tender roast- low for 6-8 hours. For super tender roast- overnight with the coke! Yum! It sounds weird, but I promise you can't taste the coke!

OK and this is the easiest thing I make!

Salsa Chicken:

Put as much chicken as you want into a crock pot. Pour a jar (or just enough to cover the chicken) of salsa over the chicken. Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 6 hours. Serve over rice! EASY!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Crockpots are the best! I love making salsa chicken too and it's also good if you add in a can of corn or black beans - or both. Maybe it's so good because it's so easy?