THIS MONTH ON MOMMY DIARIES

Ingredient of the month: Cream of Chicken Soup

Do you want to be our newest author? Click here!

11.21.2007

Homemade ginger ale and pumpkin butter

I know, I know...I have not posted my welcome profile posting yet....but I will soon, I promise!

I made two recipes this evening for our gathering tomorrow and they are so tasty that I had to quickly share them!

HOMEMADE GINGER ALE

2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 lb fresh ginger, cut into 1/4 inch thick "coins"
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of cayenne pepper
sparkling water

1. Bring sugar, ginger, cinnamon stick, and 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. SImmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat, and stir in cayenne pepper. Let cool.
2. Strain liquid into small pitcher, and discard ginger and cinnamon (I kept the ginger, cut off the outside peel and made it into candied ginger instead of throwing it away). COver, and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. To serve, ladle 1/4 cup ginger syrup into tumbler filled with ice. Top with 3/4 cup sparkling water (6oz), and stir.

PUMPKIN BUTTER

2 1/2 cups pumpkin, cooked and mashed (or 1 can)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 cup Apple cider, orange juice, or apple juice concentrate
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Cover and chill. Makes 3 cups.

Enjoy!

~Heathere

3 comments:

Cassi said...

Hey! Fun to see a post from you!! This looks good! Do you just spread the pumpkin butter on bread? Is it better on any type of bread?

Cassi said...

oh and i added your family blog to the sidebar... i hope you don't mind. :)

Unknown said...

Yum--I love ginger ale! I must admit, I never thought to make it before.